Recommended as a video camera for any budding enthusiast just starting out, i.e. the cheapest video camera that they should consider.
- top loading tape mechanism [no need to remove camera from tripod to change tape]
- manual multi function ring, used for focus, zoom, aperture, shutter speed [no need to use on-screen menus]
- record buttons on alternative locations [for getting different views through different holding positions]
- 3CCD [good colour]
CONS [features missing are not found on cameras below its price]
- no separate zoom & focus ring
- low light video quality
- dual function ports [can't use at the same time]
another review here
next step up would be
If we go beyond that it would be almost broadcast video quality; let's not go there, yet. One thing to note, the Japanese manufacturers seem to make products that stagger each other, i.e. no 2 cameras compete 100% directly.